Metz Mortuary grew out of the furniture and undertaking business started in York in 1891 by Charles Baer and Burnard King. In 1895, Mr. Baer took the furniture business and Mr. King kept the undertaking business. Albert A. Metz came to York in 1903 to work for Mr. King and purchased the business in 1904 along with Olin Hitchcock and the name was changed to Metz & Hitchcock. Mr. Metz purchased the Hitchcock interest in the business in 1928 and the name was changed back to just Metz Mortuary as it remains today.
Following the death of Melvin Briney in 1974, Charles Harris (son of Howard) returned home to assume the ownership of Metz Mortuary. Howard Harris remained active in the business until his death in 1998. The Harris family has been associated with Metz Mortuary for over 60 years. Metz Mortuary was located for many years in downtown York at the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Wall Street. In 1978 we moved into our newly constructed building at the corner of Lincoln Avenue and 1st Street. Jon Brouillette assumed the ownership of Metz Mortuary at York and at Henderson in September of 2005.